Monday, January 12, 2009

Dog chasing a bird

The dog chasing the bird was in fact like my parents marriage. The dog fleeing was a metaphor to a rocky marriage, not knowing what was going to happen when a problem arised. As the dog chased after the bird we followed the dog. I'm not sure what was going through my dog's head at the time. He seemed very concentrated on getting that bird. Us following the dog could have signified my parents trying to fix the marriage, but in the end it didn't happen. The fact that we feared the dog running into the ocean was another problem. No one knew what would happen. In the end though, we eventually caught up to my dog and put his leash around him. He chased the bird for maybe a quarter of a mile.

1 comment:

  1. Ben. Looks like you took my suggestion and ran with it here. Again, I didn't mean to suggest that these two things were absolutely connected; it's only that when we remember small things from big parts of our lives, sometimes those small things can be telling.

    I like to say our lives are texts, but I caution us to take that too far. If this moment didn't feel like how you've written it here, then there's no point trying to force an overarching meaning. Merely laying out both things--the dog chasing the bird and your parents struggling--will work as a great juxtaposition without you needing to spell it out.

    Good effort.

    ReplyDelete